- Dates: 21-Nov– 19-Dec
- Tuesdays 7:00pm – 9:30pm
- Cost: $275 (all materials incl.)
The four elements covered are:
1. A structural sketch or basic line drawing in which values and details are later built upon. Structural sketching is an excellent way to loosen up and a great way to observe and understand the underlying structure of the subject.
2. Value sketching degrees of light and dark and defining form through light and shadow without paying too much attention to the structural or proportional accuracy.
3. Black and white (Chiaroscuro) sketching focuses on the contrasting blacks and whites by ignoring the middle values. This type of sketch is a good exercise for understanding what makes images visually identifiable with the most basic of values, black and white.
4. Contour sketching or continuous line drawing outlines and defining value areas. This is a fun exercise to loosen up and sharpen observational skills along with eye to hand coordination.
By combining these approaches a natural growth in observational skills will be evident and combination of some of the different approaches will lead to a more finished drawing.
This course welcome both beginners and artists who would like to revisit the fundamentals of drawing. All materials are included. Classes will be restricted to ten places to ensure one-on-one tuition.
You can see artwork produced in previous classes here.
Location: Enderby Studio, 314 Church Street, Richmond
Time: 7:00pm – 9:30pm
Materials: All materials included
5-Sep, 12-Sep, 25-Sep
6-Oct, 13-Oct, 20-Oct,
27-Oct, 3-Nov, 10-Nov
21-Nov, 28-Nov, 5-Dec,
|$275 incl. GST
Recent comments from Hilmi’s students
Hilmi always hits the point. It’s not hard for me to understand the lesson, given I have a very limited background in art. He does not use obscure, technical language to explain things; but simple and plain English, which is accessible for beginners.
– Erin, April 2017
As a drawing beginner, this was a great chance for me to ‘jump in the deep end’, but with some structure and guidance from a skilled and experienced professional. I learned a huge amount and have much to go on with as I continue my journey. Thanks Hilmi!
– Steve, March 2015
This is a great course for both beginners and experienced artists. Personally, it taught me the value of structural drawing and how I can now incorporate it into my existing practice to come out with a more accurate depiction of still life objects and portraits.
Hilmi is a great teacher who lets you progress and work out on your own your style and helps guide you in the right direction when you get stuck!
– Sandra, March 2015
It’s a great course to build up the good foundation for future art practice. Hilmi is a great teacher who patiently provides guidance to beginner and experience students. I enjoyed and learned lots from this three day workshop.
– Michelle, March 2015
I am a beginner who is in the process of preparing my portfolio in order to apply into university to do what I have always wanted to. After two courses with Hilmi Baskurt, I found my passion for drawing nurtured and provoked.
I loved the way I was made to feel comfortable with my own style, yet at the same time thrown out of my comfort zone by pushing boundaries and overcoming my limits.
My skills were both refined and perfected. I could actually feel Hilmi’s dedication in wanting to make a difference in each student’s personal improvements.
I have been to many other classes and am yet to see such effort and encouragement; not to mention that Hilmi’s knowledge was impressive.
I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to master their skill set. As for myself, I am enrolling into his other coming courses for sure.
– Max, March 2015